What do I need to know about building operations during this time?
- All BU faculty, staff and students entering the Hariri building need to be able to show a green Healthway badge and be compliant with the testing protocol required by their testing category.
- Masks must be worn within the Hariri building at all times, unless you are in your private office with the door closed. If you remove your mask within your office, no other individuals should enter that space.
- Disinfecting wipes are available from dispensers placed around the building. All kitchenette areas have been supplied with disinfecting sprays that can be used by faculty or staff to disinfect high-touch surfaces and clean surfaces within their offices space. If supplies need to be replenished, please email Hannah Sutton email@example.com.
- Custodial Services are disinfecting all public, high-touch surfaces (elevator buttons, hand rails, door handles, etc.) throughout the day. Classrooms, team rooms and office reception areas are cleaned and disinfected at the end of the day. Individuals using these spaces throughout the day are responsible for disinfecting the area before and after their use. Ethanol wipes are available in black dispensers throughout the building and in all public spaces.
- Custodial Services are not entering any private offices. Make sure to place your trashcan outside of your office door at the end of the day to be emptied. If your office needs to be vacuumed, please submit a Fix-It ticket.
- Until further notice, the 5th and 6th floor faculty and staff office areas will be accessible by card swipe only. Should you have issues with your BU ID please submit a Fix-it ticket and be sure to include your BUID number. For immediate access, call 617-353-2105.
- All elevators, team rooms, computer labs, and lounges are clearly posted with capacity limits. Room capacities should never be exceeded and all individuals within a space need to maintain a 6-foot distance at all times.
Will the Pardee Library be open?
The Pardee Library is now open Monday – Thursday 8 am to 7 pm; Friday 8 am to 6 pm; Saturday 10 am to 6 pm; and Sunday 11 am to 7 pm. Please note that library capacity has been significantly reduced and spaces have been reconfigured to maintain social distancing. If you have any questions about what is currently available on-site, please contact our staff at (617) 353-4301.
For assistance by chat, email, or Zoom, please visit our Ask a Librarian: Business FAQs page. For information about services and resources available while we are physically closed, please see our Remote Teaching and Learning Guide and Library Resources and Services for Faculty.
For a general overview of all library services, see our website. Visit us also at: Twitter: https://twitter.com/BUpardeelibrary and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BUpardeelibrary/.
Will Starbucks or Breadwinners be open?
Starbucks will reopen for the 2021 Spring semester on January 25th. Breadwinners will remain closed until further notice.
What should I do about mail/packages being sent to Questrom?
If you do not anticipate coming to campus to pick up mail/packages consider the following options:
Will reduced parking rates be available for staff still coming to campus?
- On August 10th, BU launched a new parking system on the Charles River Campus. Visit the New Parking System webpage to explore parking options for the coming semester. Note: some lots and garages at which employees had previously paid $17/day on entry are now just $8/day for those enrolled in the new Daily Parking Program.
What about my MBTA pass?
To cancel future passes or restart your MBTA pass, visit BUworks (Employee Self Service – Campus Services – “Apply/Manage MBTA Pass and MBTA Parking Benefits”). Until further notice, MBTA passes will be distributed via USPS. Passes will be mailed to the home address on file with BU. Further information about the BU MBTA pass program can be found here.
Are their changes to BU Parking’s operations?
- Until further notice, Parking & Transportation Services will conduct all business via phone, web, email, and mail during regular business hours (Monday-Friday, 9 AM – 5 PM). The office will not be open for in-person transactions except by appointment, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Consult their Guide to Online Transactions for details. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact them at 617-353-2160 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Will the BU Shuttle bus continue to run?
Yes. A face covering is required at all times when riding the BUS and passengers are asked to board through the front door only and exit on through the rear door(s) in order to promote an orderly ingress and egress that will assist with distancing.
Seats have been blocked off with signage and floormarkings have been placed for standing passengers in order to promote physical distancing. As a result, the effective capacity of the 40′ buses is now 20 and the capacity of the 60′ buses is now 31.
The Terrier Transit app, available on the App Store and Google Play, will be your go to resource for getting to, from, and around Boston University and provide you with the live location of the BU BUS as well as also providing multimodal trip planning options. You can also follow the BUS on Twitter for up-to-date schedule information as well.
In order to accommodate reduced capacity to promote physical distancing, additional buses have been added to the typical fleet.
Will the disruption associated with COVID-19 affect hiring/staff at Boston University?
- On March 5th, the University implemented a hiring freeze on other staff vacancies. The University decided to implement this pause because of the uncertainty created by COVID-19. The virus, with its attendant travel restrictions and economic impact, may affect next academic year’s admissions and revenue, and BU’s overall budget. While the University hopes to have a clearer understanding of the nature of the impact over the next few months, it felt the wise and conservative fiscal course of action, in the meantime, is to leave staff vacancies unfilled. As of now no employee will lose their job as a result of this decision. The University is simply putting a hold on filling staff positions that are vacant as of March 5. On 4/17/20 President Brown announced that the hiring freeze will be in place through at least June 30, 2021.
- As of 3/19 this freeze also extends to temporary staff hires (which includes TAs who are not current registered BU students).
- We may move forward with the use of volunteers. Please ensure all necessary protocols are in place when having someone enter into a volunteer agreement. The University guidelines and procedure can be found here.
- As of 3/30 this freeze also extends to research job family staff hires.
- As of 4/8 this freeze also applies to staff overbases.
- This freeze also applies to job regrades/reclassifications.