Friday, May 13, 2016
Followed by a reception in the Fitness & Recreation Center
Each section of this page contains important information for graduating Questrom graduate students and their families. This page will continue to be updated with information, so please check back often!
The University’s Commencement website provides further information about this exciting weekend, including the All-University Commencement Ceremony on May 15th.
Graduation Check List
- Complete the Graduation Application. The deadline for all 2016 graduates was November 15, 2015. You should see graduation summary information listed on the Academic Summary page of the Student Link.
- Make sure everything is correct before Spring Break (to ensure accuracy in the Commencement Program). On the Student Link …
- Look at your Diploma and Graduation Information (Academics tab). Enter and confirm your name as you want it to appear on your diploma, verify your address, and select how you want to receive your degree (May graduates only).
- Look at your Directory Information (Personal tab). Place a check mark next to ‘Commencement Program’ if you do not want your name in the Commencement Program.
- If you are concerned about your name being pronounced correctly at Commencement, please record your name at the following online sites for PhD, MSMS, MSMF, MS-MBA, and MBA (full-time, dual-degree & PEMBA) students by Friday, May 8th.
- Order your cap and gown by March 6th.
- If you have federal loans, complete your exit counseling with the Office of Financial Assistance.
- Resolve any compliance holds (financial or administrative) that could prevent you from receiving your diploma.
- Contribute to your legacy with the Questrom Class Gift.
- Celebrate with your classmates at Disorientation.
- Sign up for Commencement Weekend Family Events.
Convocation Ceremony for Questrom PhD and Master’s Candidates
Friday, May 13, 2016 – 6:00 PM
Agganis Arena is at 925 Commonwealth Avenue.
Guests may arrive at the main entrance of Agganis Arena no earlier than 5:00p.m. as there are other ceremonies earlier in the day. There is no limit to the number of guests that may attend.
Graduates should arrive at the Feld Entrance of Agganis Arena (on Harry Agganis Way) no later than 5:15p.m., (go upstairs and to the left) in order to check in and line-up in time for the ceremony. It is very important that you arrive on time as you risk being lined up out of order or not being able to participate in the ceremony at all.
Students who plan to complete their degree requirements in May 2016 or September 2016 and those who completed their degree requirements in September 2015 or January 2016 are eligible to participate in the May 2016 Commencement Ceremony.
From the North Shell (Harry Agganis Way Entrance), BU staff and student volunteers will lead you to your seats in Agganis Arena. A program of speeches, recognitions, and awards will follow, culminating in the finale – having each student walk across the stage to be recognized and receive a diploma cover from Dean Freeman.
A reception will be held for graduates and their guests at the Fitness and Recreation Center (FitRec), next to the Arena at 915 Commonwealth Avenue, immediately following the ceremony (approximately 8:00p.m.). Students and guests will enter the reception through different routes and should plan on reuniting there. Any dinner plans should be made for 9:00 p.m. or later.
Online orders can be placed on the Herff Jones website. The deadline to place orders is March 16. Online orders can be delivered to your home or may be picked up at Barnes & Noble beginning April 20. Degree candidates who do not place an online order must visit Barnes & Noble at Boston University after April 20 to purchase their academic regalia. The costs for the basic regalia packages are as follows:
Degree Program Master's PhD (rental)
Price $103 online before 3/16
$113 in-store after 4/20
$85 online before 3/16
$95 in-store after 4/20
Includes - Gown
- Master Hood
- 10 Printed Announcements
- Gown with Velvet Panels
- Black Velvet Tam
- Doctoral Hood
- 10 Printed Announcements
*All rented doctoral regalia must be returned by May 25 to avoid late charges. The University will withhold transcripts for any graduate who does not return rented regalia.
Custom doctoral regalia is available for purchase. All custom orders must be made by March 6 through a fitting appointment with the BU Barnes & Noble General Merchandise Department, 617-236-7402.
For further information regarding academic dress and announcements, contact Barnes & Noble.
Military attire is acceptable in lieu of Regalia.
The Questrom Graduate Council will also offer rentals of used regalia during their meeting from 4:30-6:00 p.m. on Wednesday, February 24th. More information will be announced on their Facebook page and in the GPO weekly email.
Regalia Graduate Program
MBA & MSMS MS•MBA PhD MSMF
Tassel Drab Science Gold Thick Gold (metallic) Science Gold
Hood Drab Drab Dark Blue Science Gold
Gown Scarlet Scarlet Scarlet Scarlet
Gown Velvet No velvet No velvet Black No velvet
Honor Cords & Beta Gamma Sigma (BGS) Cords
Honor, High Honor & BGS cords will be given out upon check in at the Questrom Convocation. A gold cord is worn by students who are graduating with High Honors (3.70 CGPA or above) and a white cord is worn by those graduating with Honors (3.55 CGPA or above). MS·MBA students will receive one honor cord upon check in. All students initiated into the Beta Gamma Sigma honor society will receive a blue cord.
During the actual ceremony, you will receive a blank diploma cover, regardless of your graduation date. May 2016 graduates pick up their diplomas during the FitRec Center Reception. Those who do not attend the Convocation Ceremony or the reception may pick up their diploma in the GPO during the period of Monday, May 16th through Friday, May 20th during regular business hours. After June 15th May graduates may pick up their diploma at the Office of the University Registrar (Diploma Office: 617-353-3604). Remaining diplomas will be mailed at the end of June.
September 2016 graduates can choose to pick up their diploma at the Office of the University Registrar (must fill out “Diploma Pickup Application” on their website), and they will be available after their official graduation date of September 25th. All others will be mailed approximately 6 weeks later.
Photographs & Video
A professional photographer will photograph each student as he or she receives a diploma cover. Commencement Photos, Inc. will mail proofs to your home address and offer other photo packages for purchase in the weeks after the ceremony.
The Questrom Graduate Program Convocation Ceremony will be video-recorded by Kitay Productions and DVDs are available for purchase. Pre-order your DVD by clicking here or purchase the DVD on the day of the ceremony in the Agganis Arena lobby.
Convocation Student Speaker
If you would like to be considered for this opportunity, please submit your application no later than 9:00a.m. on Monday, February 29, 2016.
Things to keep in mind:
- Your speech will be one of several and should be no longer than 4-5 minutes in length
- Your speech should be inclusive of the various graduate student populations and programs in the Questrom School of Business (full- and part-time MBA, MS-MBA, Math Finance, Management Studies, and PhD) and address the graduate student experience at Questrom.
- If you submit after the deadline, it is possible that your speech may not be considered.
All submissions should include both a physical copy of the speech and video recording. If selected as the student speaker, you will be expected to rehearse your speech in April and attend a sound check in Agganis Arena on May 12th.
Parking and Public Transportation
Traffic along Commonwealth Avenue during Commencement Weekend is normally heavily congested, and a scheduled Red Sox game at Fenway Park Friday night will only create more traffic and serious delays, so please plan to give yourself and your guests extra time to arrive. We highly recommend using public transportation to and from campus whenever possible. Transportation information can be found here. While all university parking lots will be open and free of charge during Commencement weekend, space will be limited and demand will be high, particularly on Friday afternoon when faculty and staff are still working, so we strongly encourage you to use public transportation whenever possible. Parking Services will be running a shuttle service up and down Commonwealth Avenue all weekend.
Special Assistance Needs
If one of your guests needs special access to either Agganis Arena or Nickerson Field, please submit the Accommodation Request Form starting April 1.
Graduates needing special assistance should contact Gina Galland in the GPO as soon as possible so that appropriate arrangements may be made.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many guests can I bring? Do they need tickets?
You do not need tickets for either the Questrom ceremony on May 13th or the All-University ceremony at Nickerson Field on May 15h. Bring as many guests as you like! Seating is not a concern for the Questrom ceremony, but for the All-University, it is first-come, first-served, so make sure to arrive early.
What should I bring to Commencement?
- Be sure to bring your cap and gown, but do not put them on until after you have passed through the security point at the Feld Entrance of Agganis Arena. You will not be allowed to participate in either the Questrom Ceremony or the All-University Ceremony without them! Military attire is acceptable in lieu of Regalia
- Please do not bring personal items (e.g. coats, umbrellas and purses) with you to the line-up areas in the Agganis Arena, as there are no facilities to secure these items. You will not be returning to the room where you line-up and there will be no one there to safeguard your items. Leave items with friends or family before entering the line-up area. If you must carry small items, please make sure you can hide them under your gown in pockets or a small bag. Please remember that all bags will be searched by security when entering Agganis Arena and that no bags larger than 12” x 12” x 6” will be permitted into the Arena.
- Wear comfortable footwear. There will be a lot of standing and walking, including stairs.
- Alcohol, balloons, beach balls, air horns, or any similar paraphernalia will not be allowed – security will be checking.
What other security measures are in place for Commencement Weekend?
Full details on the University measures can be found on the main BU Commencement site.
I have family visiting from abroad and they need a letter to get their visa. Can you help?
ISSO can generate a letter of invitation. This request is for a letter that can be used by family members of a BU student or scholar when applying for a U.S. visitor’s visa.
What is Disorientation? How do I get involved?
Disorientation is a series of activities and gatherings in the week leading up to graduation. It is sponsored by the Questrom Graduate Council and more information will be posted on their Facebook page in the weeks ahead.