BU Commencement is scheduled to take place on Sunday, October 3, 2021 at 1:00pm in Agganis Arena. A reception for all schools on Nickerson Field will follow the ceremony.
Questrom’s recognition event for all programs will take place on Saturday, October 2 from 3:00pm-5:00pm in the Agganis Arena. Following the ceremony, we will host a reception for all attendees in the courtyard adjacent to the arena.
A separate ceremony and luncheon for Questrom’s PhD students will take place on Saturday, October 2 from 11:30am-1:00pm in the 4th floor Dining Rooms.
In order to participate in ceremonies, you will need University-approved regalia. Orders must be placed online; home delivery and campus pickup options are available.
For more information, deadlines, and to place order, visit the Caps, Gowns & Announcements page.
Ceremony | COMMENCEMENT 2020
147TH ALL-UNIVERSITY COMMENCEMENT EXERCISES
Sunday, October 3, 2021
1 pm ET
The All-University Commencement ceremony dedicated to the Class of 2020 will be held during Alumni Weekend for all those who completed degrees from September 2019 through September 2020. The ceremony will take place on Sunday, October 3, 2021, at 1 pm ET at Agganis Arena*. We are pleased to invite graduates, families and guests back to campus to celebrate their accomplishments on what promises to be a special weekend. Read the letter from President Brown.
*Event location may change depending on registration numbers.
This ceremony will comprise of speeches from Boston University President Robert A. Brown, the Commencement speaker, and the student speaker, plus presentations to the Honorary Degree Recipients and the conferring of degrees. The Class of 2020 graduates will be seated with their school/college and recognized as a group. Individual names will not be called nor will graduates cross the stage at the ceremony. Honorary Degrees will be conferred upon the distinguished individuals we invited to participate in May 2020.
The ceremony will be livestreamed (with CART transcription) on this website for those who cannot attend in-person. There will be ASL interpretation and Closed Captioning at the in-person ceremony, which is expected to be approximately 2 hours in length.
The University is committed to promoting a safe campus environment and has enacted a COVID-19 vaccination mandate for all members of the university who are on campus. We also strongly encourage all visitors to campus to be vaccinated. In accordance with current University safety protocol, cloth face coverings or disposable masks must be worn indoors at all times when not eating or drinking. Any participant with symptoms that could be related to COVID-19 should not engage in group activities and seek medical advice.
The Convocation program will consist of speakers, awards, and the presentation of diplomas. Please note that student names are not printed in the program.
May graduates only, confirm your name as you want it to appear on your diploma, verify your address, and select how you want to receive your degree in the Academic tab under Diploma & Graduation Information.
May 2021 Graduates: All diplomas will be mailed. Please visit the Registrar Diploma Order/Mailing Schedule page for instructions on updating your mailing address and for the mailing schedule. Anyone who hasn’t provided a diploma mailing address and/or resolves a hold as of August 3rd will be required to email email@example.com to request the release of their diploma/CeCredential.
January/September 2021 Graduates: January and September graduates can attend the future May ceremonies; however, your paper diploma will be mailed. Please visit the Registrar Diploma Order/Mailing Schedule page for instructions on updating your mailing address and for the mailing schedule. Anyone who hasn’t provided a diploma mailing address and/or resolves a hold as of October 23rd will be required to email firstname.lastname@example.org to request the release of their diploma/CeCredential.
- In order to participate in ceremonies during the in-person, May 16th Commencement on Nickerson Field, you will need University-approved regalia. Orders must be placed online; home delivery and campus pickup options are available.
- It is highly recommended that all orders are placed immediately, especially for international shipments. Orders placed before April 1st will receive free domestic standard shipping. For more information, deadlines, and to place order, visit the Caps, Gowns & Announcements page.
- If you choose to return your cap and gown (including tassel, stole, hood, or cords), you can do so by following the link to the Herff Jones College Regalia Returns page.
- All Doctoral students with rented robes, including DMD, JD, and MD robes, must return their regalia by July 1 to Herff Jones. If you have not used your regalia for photos, virtual ceremonies, family get-togethers, or other celebrations, please fill out the refund section. You will have the opportunity to rent robes again once the date of Commencement 2020 has been announced
- For additional regalia information, please contact the Herff Jones customer service team at 1-800-837-4235
- If you already ordered and were expected to pick up your cap and gown on campus, please visit the Herff Jones Home Ship page to provide your home shipping information. Herff Jones will ship your cap and gown products to you for free.
Have you accepted a job offer?
Be sure to let your Academic Advisor and Career Coach know, and come to the Grad Center to “ring the bell” so we can celebrate with you! MBA and MSMF students will receive a link to complete the employment survey once you’ve notified your Career Coach.
Contribute to Your Legacy
The Class Gift Campaign is a student-driven initiative aiming to positively impact the offices, programs, and projects that meant the most to you during your years at BU. You can honor a mentor, help future students, or help your favorite Terrier team on to more wins.
Rafik B. Hariri Building
595 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02215
MASTER'S & PhD CENTER
Call or Text:
OFFICE HOURSMBA CENTER
Fall & Spring
Virtual Appts: M-Th 7:00am-7:00pm; F 7:00am-5:00pm
In Person Appts: M-Tu 9:30am-6:30pm; W-Th 9:00am-5:00pm
MASTER'S & PhD CENTER
Fall & Spring
Virtual & In Person Appts: Mon-Fri 9:00am-5:00pm