Student Check-In and Guest Arrival details will be announced after Spring Break
Students who completed their degree requirements in September 2018 or January 2019, and those who plan to complete their degree requirements in May 2019 or September 2019, are eligible to participate in the May 2019 Convocation Ceremony. Doctoral students have additional requirements that must be completed prior to graduation. The Questrom Graduate Commencement Ceremony will be held on Friday, May 17 at 9am. Doors for guests and student check-in will open at 7:30am.
Students will receive details on when and where to arrive after Spring Break. The ceremony will be indoors, however you may be on grass and gravel before and after the ceremony.
There is no formal dress code for the ceremony. We recommend that you do not wear white under the robes as the red color has been known to bleed, and to wear comfortable shoes, as you will be walking a fair amount on different surfaces.
You and your guests are invited to join an outdoor tented reception across the street following the ceremony, at approximately 11am. There will be light breakfast food and drinks. Diplomas will be available for pick-up at the reception for May graduates only.
Make sure to resolve any compliance holds that could prevent you from receiving your diploma. If you have federal loans, your diploma will be withheld until you complete your exit counseling. For further questions related to your diploma, contact the BU registrar.
Your diploma name must match legal first and last name on file with the University. To change a first or last name, you must submit a “Name Change Form” to the office of the University Registrar. Instructions and further information on diploma name restrictions are available from the central diploma office here.
The deadline to update your diploma name is 5pm, Thursday March 20th. Once your diploma has been printed, you will not be able to make any changes to your diploma name without purchasing another copy.
If you select to have your name restricted on the student link, you name will not be printed in the commencement program. Please see our program section below for more information.
Students participating in commencement ceremonies are required to wear University-approved regalia. Once you have your regalia, please ensure you have received the correct size and color, and contact Barnes & Noble, our approved supplier, immediately if there are issues. You will find ordering details below, and visit this page for additional information, including campus pick-up location and dates, extended deadlines, custom regalia, and announcements.
- MBA and MBA+MSDi candidates will wear a scarlet gown, black cap, drab tassel, and drab hood. Students must purchase regalia online ($113 cap, gown, tassel, hood, free shipping) before April 7. The Questrom Graduate Council will have a limited amount of regalia available to rent on a first come-first serve basis, and students will need to purchase their tassel separately in the GSU Alley (basement of 775 Commonwealth Ave) the week of graduation.
- DUAL-DEGREE MBA: Candidates that are earning a second degree outside of Questrom will wear MBA regalia (see bullet above for ordering details) at the Questrom ceremony. Additional regalia is only required if you plan to attend both ceremonies.
- JD/MBAs & MD/MBAs: JD/MD candidates have the option to wear either the regalia of the highest degree attained, or MBA regalia (bullet 1). Please note we only invest hoods for doctoral students receiving a PhD in Business Administration or PhD in Mathematical Finance. Should you chose to wear your doctoral regalia, you will wear only one hood, and it must correspond with your doctoral degree.
- OTHER DUAL-MASTERS: Candidates that are earning a second master’s degree outside of Questrom will wear MBA regalia (see bullet above for ordering details) at the Questrom ceremony and can reuse the cap and gown for the other ceremony. A hood for your second degree program may be ordered online ($33) before April 7 and a tassel can be purchased in the GSU Alley (basement of 775 Commonwealth Ave) the week of graduation.
- MSMF | MSMS: MSMS and MSMF candidates will wear a scarlet gown, black cap, drab tassel, and yellow hood. Students must purchase regalia online ($113 cap, gown, tassel, hood, free shipping) before April 7. The Questrom Graduate Council will have a limited amount of regalia available to rent on a first come-first serve basis, and students will need to purchase their tassel separately in the GSU Alley (basement of 775 Commonwealth Ave) the week of graduation. Please note, you must wear Masters regalia, which differs from Bachelors regalia.
- PhD: Doctoral candidates will wear a gown with velvet panels and sleeve chevrons, black velvet keeper tam with attached gold tassel, and blue doctoral hood. Doctoral candidates rent regalia, and must order online before April 7 ($95), and returned to Barnes and Noble @ BU by May 26, or mailed to Herff Jones by May 30. Orders returned after this date may incur late charges, and the University will withhold transcripts for any graduate who does not return rented regalia.
Honor Cords & Beta Gamma Sigma (BGS) Cords
Honor, High Honor & BGS cords will be given out upon check in at the Questrom Convocation. A gold cord is worn by students who are graduating with High Honors (3.70 CGPA or above) and a white cord is worn by those graduating with Honors (3.55 CGPA or above). MBA+MSDi students will receive one honor cord upon check in.
All students initiated into the Beta Gamma Sigma honor society will receive a blue cord.
Unless you have restricted your name from being listed in the program via the student link, your name will be listed in the program by degree, graduation period/status, and diploma name. Those graduating in September 2018 and January 2019 will be identified as Official Graduates. May 2019 and September 2019 students will be identified as Degree Candidates. Prior degrees are not listed in the program. Your name will be listed as you have instructed to be printed on your diploma.
Before spring break, make sure everything is correct on the student link to ensure accuracy in the commencement program. If you do not want your name in the commencement program, visit the Personal tab, and under Directory Information check ‘Commencement Program.’
Names of students who have opted to restrict the release of their academic information in the commencement program will not be printed in the program for the 2019 Questrom School of Business Convocation Ceremony. If this is not what you intended to do, please adjust your restriction settings on the Student Link by going to the ‘Personal’ tab, then ‘Directory Information’, and review and adjust your preferences. Then, please let our registrar know that you have made this adjustment so that I we can ensure that we include your name in the program.
If you do wish to have your name omitted from the printed commencement program, please know that this request will be honored, and that your name will still be announced as you proceed across the stage at the Questrom Convocation Ceremony.
You are welcome to bring as many guests as you like! You do not need tickets for either the Questrom ceremony or the All-University ceremony. For both ceremonies, seating is first-come, first-served, so make sure to arrive early.
In early April, Disability Services will accept submissions to request accessible parking, seating, and individual services. If you need additional assistance, contact Disability Services at 617-353-3658.
Guests who will be traveling from abroad may contact ISSO to generate a letter of invitation for U.S. visitor’s visa application, which can be used by family members of a BU student or scholar.
Traffic along Commonwealth Avenue during Commencement Weekend is normally heavily congested, and so please plan to give yourself and your guests extra time to arrive. We highly recommend using public transportation to and from campus whenever possible.
A free and continuous shuttle service will run between Kenmore Square and the Track & Tennis Center starting at 7am.
For the Questrom Graduate Ceremony, all university parking, including handicapped parking, will be available on a first-come first-served basis, free of charge, beginning Friday morning at 6am. Parking closest to the Track & Tennis Center is Lot B: Langsam Garage. Please note space will be limited and demand will be high. If you are attending other ceremonies, please refer to the All-BU Convocation page for general and accessible parking details.
You can quickly and easily hop on a Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority (MBTA) bus or a train from campus to various places in the city and beyond. Check the MBTA site for maps and schedules, or use their trip planner.
Disability Services Accommodations
Graduates needing special assistance should contact Keane Wimberly in the Grad Center as soon as possible so that appropriate arrangements may be made.
In early April, guests may request accessible parking, seating, and individual services. If you need additional assistance, contact Disability Services at 617.353.3658.
Handicapped parking is available in all parking lots throughout the Charles River Campus on a first-come, first-served basis to students and guests who are attending individual school and college ceremonies and other Commencement events.
Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services (DHHS) such as Sign language and CART (Speech to Text) Services as well as other accommodations are available upon request to individuals with disabilities during convocation ceremonies and campus commencement weekend events. Please indicate on your form which services you will need.
A professional photographer will photograph each student as he or she receives a diploma cover. Commencement Photos, Inc. will mail proofs to your home address and offer other photo packages for purchase in the weeks after the ceremony.
The Questrom Graduate Program Convocation Ceremony will be video-recorded, and available for purchase after the ceremony.
Have you accepted a job offer?
Be sure to let your Academic Advisor and Career Coach know, and come to the Grad Center to “ring the bell” so we can celebrate with you! MBA and MSMF students will receive a link to complete the employment survey once you’ve notified your Career Coach.
Contribute to Your Legacy
The Class Gift Campaign is a student-driven initiative aiming to positively impact the offices, programs, and projects that meant the most to you during your years at BU. You can honor a mentor, help future students, or help your favorite Terrier team on to more wins.
Graduate Academic & Career Development Center
Rafik B. Hariri Building
595 Commonwealth Avenue, Suite 115
Boston, MA 02215