The Performance Improvement Consultant works under the direction of the Performance Improvement Manager and Director of Service Excellence and Performance Improvement to support the performance improvement agenda of Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital through facilitation of key strategic projects and work teams. The PI Consultant provides support to teams through collection, analysis, interpretation and presentation of data, development of testing and implementation of work plans, and evaluation of impact. The PI Consultant employs a variety of improvement methodologies including Toyota Production System/Lean, Institute for Healthcare Improvement Rapid Cycle Testing, and Innovation/Deep Dive design sessions. The PI Consultant assists in providing process improvement training for teams.
Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital is a 162 bed non-profit, community teaching hospital located in Jamaica Plain directly across the street from the Arnold Arboretum. Founded in 1900, Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital has a long history of meeting the health care needs of our patients by offering comprehensive care in a wide variety of specialties. At Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital, our world revolves around our patients and their families, which is why we’ve been nationally recognized for our best practices in patient care, safety measures and surgical outcomes. If you’re looking for more than a career, join Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital. Our patients call it better care. Our employees call it home.
- Independently facilitates project subgroups and work teams including meeting management, discussion facilitation, conflict resolution, change management, and one-on-one meetings with clinical and administrative managers and leaders.
- Utilizes fundamental performance improvement concepts and methodologies such as process/value stream mapping, brainstorming, group decision-making techniques, root cause analysis, design and testing of interventions, design of measurement strategies, and implementation planning.
- Conducts patient/process “walk-throughs”, face-to-face patient and provider interviews, and focus groups.
- Provides data support to project teams: identifies useful sources of data; plans data collection; analyzes, interprets, and presents healthcare data.
- Rapidly identifies, problem-solves, and communicates to the Performance Improvement Manager and Director of SE and PI any issues or barriers that are interfering with project deadlines or project scope.
- Interacts and works with the Sr. Leadership team, Department Heads and other members of the Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital staff.
- Performs literature searches, chart abstractions and collects best practices in coordination with PI projects.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Master’s degree preferred
- Lean/six sigma/PI training strongly preferred
- 1-3 years of healthcare experience, preferably in the hospital
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with patients, healthcare providers and administrators
- Proven ability to manage small projects independently
- Grasp of key continuous quality improvement concepts, methodologies and tools
- Ability to complete work under pressure and to meet strict deadlines
- Previous experience in healthcare improvement preferred
- Competency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel; competency in Microsoft Access or other database applications preferred
- Must be able to maintain a high degree of maturity, professionalism and confidentiality
- Adheres to all I C.A.R.E. Standards