A half-credit is granted to students who complete an approved Management Internship along with a five page reflection paper about their Management Internship experience.
Is your internship supervisor requiring that you earn academic credit for your internship?
Are you an international student who intends to complete an internship in the United States?
You are eligible for SM395 only if you answered ‘yes’ to either of these questions, and you are majoring in Business Administration.
Steps for completing SM395 Management Internship
- Review all of the information on this page.
- Save the email from your internship supervisor that confirms your participation in your internship so that you can upload that email below.
- International students: additional steps apply. Please be sure to read the section below for international students.
- Submit the SM395 Management Internship Application Form below.
- Once approved, we will register you for SM395: Management Internship. Please note that this form takes up to 48 hours to process.
- Complete your internship
- At the end of your internship, write a five-page reflection essay (please see details below) and ask your internship supervisor to provide you with an email confirming that you have completed your internship.
- Complete the SM395 Management Internship Completion Form below, including uploading your reflection essay and your supervisor’s completion confirmation email.
CPT for International Students
Questrom international students who intend to complete an internship in the United States must be registered for SM395 and must receive Curricular Practical Training (CPT) approval from the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) before beginning their internship.
International students must be registered for SM395 Management Internship during the dates that internship takes place.
- Click here to review the ISSO’s website about CPT, and obtain the CPT Application Form.
- Complete the CPT Application Form, leaving sections 4, 5 and 6 blank. The SM395 Coordinator will complete those sections.
- In the SM395 Application Form below, you will be required to upload your CPT Application and your internship offer letter.
- The SM395 Coordinator will register you for SM395, complete sections 4-6 of your CPT Application, and forward your CPT Application and offer letter to the ISSO on your behalf. You will be copied on that email.
- Your ISSO advisor will review your application materials, and you can begin your internship only once you have received approval from the ISSO.
- SM395 is a half credit course for which tuition is waived. Your student account may reflect a tuition charge for which you will not be responsible. Summer registrants are responsible for the registration/activities fee. Students taking SM395 in the Fall or Spring semester will not be responsible for tuition charges.
- Students wishing to register for SM395 Management Internship must do so before the midpoint of the semester during which the internship takes place.
- Students are graded on a pass/fail basis.
- SM395 does not fulfill a degree requirement for the BSBA degree.
SM395 Management Internship Application Form
Required Internship Reflection Essay
At the completion of your internship, you are required to write a five page reflection essay (12 point font, double spaced) that describes how your internship experience has informed your management education experience, contributed to your career goals, and, if applicable, has drawn upon your experience in career management courses. Please cite specific examples.
Please upload this essay as part of your SM395 Management Internship Completion Form below. Your paper will be reviewed by the Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Student Experience & Services in determination of your passing grade.
The deadline to submit this essay is the last day of class if you are registered for the Fall or Spring semester, or August 31 if you are registered for the Summer Term.
SM395 Management Internship Completion Form