Step 1: Attend an information session
- Fall 2018 Dates:
- Wednesday, September 12, 3:30 – 4:30pm, HAR 408
- Monday, September 24, 2:30 – 3:30pm, HAR 105
- Thursday, October 11, 11am – 12pm, HAR 224
- Thursday, October 25, 5 – 6pm, HAR 302
- Monday, November 5, 2:30 – 3:30pm, HAR 105
- Tuesday, November 13, 11am – 12pm, HAR 410
- Monday, December 3, 2:30 – 3:30pm HAR 105
Step 2: Take Questrom’s gateway courses
Before transferring to the Questrom School of Business, students must complete Questrom’s gateway courses, SM131 and FE101 concurrently, and earn a grade of B- or better both. If a student repeats a gateway course, the average of the two grades for the course must be at least a B- (2.70).
Please note: Non-Questrom entering freshmen may not take the gateway courses (SM131 and FE101) until their Spring semester.
About SM131 and FE101
- SM131, Business, Society and Ethics, 4 credits – This course is a pre-requisite for all Questrom courses
- Lecture (SM131 A1): Mondays/Wednesdays, 8-9:30am
- Discussions (SM131 G-L): Tuesdays/Thursdays/Fridays
- FE101, Introduction to Finance, 2 credits
- Mondays or Wednesdays
Click here for the exact date and time that you can register for SM131 and FE101.
Retaking SM131 and/or FE101
Students earning less than a B– who wish to continue to pursue transferring to the Questrom School of Business have one opportunity to retake the course(s) and must retake the course(s) in one of the following two semesters (including summer semester). Students earning less than a 2.70 average in either SM 131 or FE 101 are not eligible to transfer to the Questrom School of Business. Such students may continue taking Questrom courses to pursue the Business Administration minor.
Once you have completed SM131 with a grade of D of higher, you can continue taking Questrom courses.
Step 3: Registering at Questrom
You can register for your first Questrom semester while you are in the process of completing Questrom’s gateway courses (SM131 and FE101). Since registration begins before you officially transfer to Questrom, you will be registering as a non-Questrom student. Click here for the semester-specific date and time that non-Questrom students can register for the Questrom courses listed below.
Select your courses from the list below, and be sure to review each course’s prerequisite: *
- AC221, Financial Accounting (prerequisite: SM131)
- AC222, Managerial Accounting (prerequisite: sophomore standing; AC221; QM221 previous/concurrent)
- ES275, Management Communications (4 credits)
- IS223, Introduction to Information Systems
- LA245, Introduction to Law (prerequisite: sophomore standing)
- OB221, Dynamics of Leading Organizations (prerequisite: SM131 and FE101)
- QM221, Probabilistic and Statistical Decision-Making for Management (prerequisite: SM131; CAS MA121 or MA123 previous or concurrent)
- QM222, Modeling Business Decisions and Market Outcomes (prerequisite: Sophomore standing; QM221; CAS EC101)
* All of the courses listed above are 4 credit courses unless otherwise noted.
You must receive a grade of D or higher for all Questrom courses taken as a non-Questrom student, except SM131 and FE101. Some schools/colleges require a higher minimum grade for courses taken for a minor, please consult with your school/college.
Step 4: Submit the IUT Application Form
To request to transfer to the Questrom School of Business from another Boston University school/college, please submit the IUT Application Form after you have completed the eligibility requirements (i.e. after you have met the minimum grade requirement in SM131 and FE101).
Reviewing your application:
IUT Applications submitted by the 15th of each month will be reviewed by the end of that month. Students will be notified by email by the end of the month. For example, if you submit the IUT Application on October 10th, and you have met each of the eligibility requirements, you will be a Questrom student by the end of October.