TO: All Staff and Faculty
FROM: Robert A. Brown, President
DATE: April 5, 2021
April 5, 2021
As we continue to look forward beyond the challenges of the past year, we are grateful for your unwavering hard work during these unprecedented times. Your continued efforts have made it possible for us to advance the education of our students and sustain our research enterprise.
As we approach the end of the spring semester, I am pleased to share some good news about benefits that will become available in the coming months.
Boston University Retirement Plan — I am pleased to announce the resumption of the University core and matching contributions to the Boston University Retirement Plan effective July 1, 2021.
COVID-19 Paid Absence — The COVID-19 Paid Absence program has been extended, and time banks will be reset to 10 days for all staff during April. The extended benefit is available for time away from work after April 1, 2021 for COVID-related illness or absence. This includes time off from work to be vaccinated off-campus and, if needed, time to recover from vaccine side effects.
Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) — Several changes are being made to provide you with more flexibility to access and use Health and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts.
- Prospective changes to your FSA contribution elections may be requested at any time during 2021.
- The March 31 deadline to request reimbursement for expenses incurred in 2020 has been extended to December 31, 2021.
- Remaining 2020 FSA balances may be used to reimburse expenses incurred in 2021.
- The maximum election amount for the Dependent Care FSA is being increased to $10,500 for 2021.
- The maximum age that dependents are eligible for Dependent Care FSA expenses is increased from 13 to 14 years old.
Vacation Time Accrual — Retroactive to January 1, 2021, monthly vacation time that is earned in excess of the maximum carryover amount will be credited (added) to a staff member’s vacation time bank until the end of the calendar year. This will give staff more flexibility to use any accrued vacation time over the course of the year.
Please contact the Human Resources Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617-353-2380 if you have any questions about any of these benefit changes.
I hope these changes will provide additional benefits that will be helpful to you and your family.
With gratitude and best wishes,
Robert A. Brown