Undergraduate Student Information
For more information on the general plans for the Learn from Anywhere model at Boston University, please visit the Back2BU site
Information from the Undergraduate Academic & Career Development Center
Welcome back to our continuing students, and to the newest members of our community, welcome to Questrom! The Questrom community is a vibrant one and we are looking forward to beginning the fall semester soon. As you know, the fall semester is going to be unique; and we want you to know that the team in the Undergraduate Academic & Career Development Center (UDC) is fully committed to supporting your learning experience this fall – from wherever you are located!
You received emails in the fall addressing LfA nuances for the classroom and daily life at 595 Comm Ave. We are continuing the UDC LfA model this spring with some minor changes – outlined below – and rest assured we are here for you!
You can always check out the UDC website for extensive information about our services and resources!
- LOCATION: The Undergraduate Academic & Career Development Center (UDC) is located on the first floor, Suite 104, 595 Commonwealth Avenue (Rafik B. Hariri building).
- The UDC is committed to the health and safety of the Questrom and BU community and will maintain all health and safety precautions both within the team and in our interactions with students. Just as you are expected to wear your mask and complete daily and weekly symptom attestation and testing in order to attend class, the same will be true to enter the UDC or hold an in-person appointment. We assure you that the staff in the UDC is also vigorously upholding these expectations in our activities as well!
- HOURS: For Spring 2021, all times are Eastern Standard Time (EST):
- We will have in-person hours:
- Monday-Thursday 10:00 AM – 3:30 PM
- We will have extended virtual hours
- Monday-Thursday 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Our goal is to provide extended availability to all students whether you are learning in-person or remotely, and whether you are based in Boston or in from different time zones.
- We will have in-person hours:
- DROP-INS: We will continue to provide virtual drop-ins through Zoom and are expanding drop-in advising hours to provide extended availability to students learning in different time zones. For more information about how to access virtual drop-ins, click here. Academic and Career virtual drop-ins will be offered:
- Monday: 10am-12noon and 1pm-3pm
- Tuesday: 8am-12noon and 1pm-3pm
- Wednesday: 8am-10am and 1pm-3pm
- Thursday: 10am-12noon and 1pm-3pm
- Friday: 10am-12noon and 1pm-3pm
- APPOINTMENTS: We continue to schedule all appointments via Handshake and we have extensive and expanded virtual appointment availability for students to access from anywhere in the world, including Boston! As well, there are in-person appointments taking place in properly outfitted meeting spaces in Questrom.
o During the first two weeks of the semester, advisors will dedicate their time to virtual drop-ins only in order to meet as many students’ needs as possible.
o Starting the week of 2/8, when you schedule an appointment on Handshake, you will find options to schedule virtual or in-person appointments, so please make sure that you are paying attention to the type of appointment that you schedule. For in-person appointments, there will be health and safety guidelines that you and the advisor will follow, and for virtual meetings, your Handshake confirmation notes will include your Zoom link the day of the meeting, which will give you an option for a meeting via a webcam or via phone. Please join via the method that works best for you.
- VISITING THE UDC: Given occupancy limitations, we have created a system that will allow you to get answers to your questions quickly, without having to visit our front desk.
- We encourage you to contact us by phone at 617-353-2650 during our extended virtual hours.
- We have also added the capacity for you to text us at that same number. We can respond to most quick questions on the phone and via text!
- You can also reach the UDC at our email at email@example.com.
- As always, for more personal and detailed advising, you can schedule an appointment with your Academic or Career Advisor on Handshake or visit virtual drop-in hours!
- ADD/DROP: Add/drop is a common process for many students at the beginning of the semester, and there are updates to the Questrom course Add/Drop process this semester for your convenience! If a class has an open seat, you can register for it on the StudentLink. Questrom classes will be closed to StudentLink adds at 5PM on Sunday, January 24 and you will have to attempt the add/drop process as follows:
– You will need to have faculty permission to add the class. Faculty will be making these determinations based on the LfA capacity of the classroom, the appropriate class size for the class, and of course your completion of the course pre-requisites.
– If approved, you can finalize your request by submitting the brand new Questrom Course Instructor Permission Request Form to the Professor for them to add you to the class. (The UDC will not have printed Add/Drop forms)
– To request a non-Questrom course, please complete the Add/Drop Form and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ACTIVITIES AND UDC- OR QUESTROM-SPONSORED PROGRAMMING: We will continue to offer activities and programs in which you can engage for academic, co-curricular, and community events. For any in-person programming, we will ensure that all health, maximum attendance, and safety guidelines are followed. Because these currently include strict limitations around the number of students and to ensure access for all of you Learning from Anywhere, there will be substantive virtual programming. Please watch the Questrom calendar and read the weekly Snapshot to stay apprised of all upcoming events!
Please know we remain here for you. We look forward to connecting with you either in-person or remotely. Please keep an eye on your email as you will hear more from your assigned academic & career advisors soon. Finally, never hesitate to contact the UDC should you have any questions.